Friday, May 1, 2009

Apply for the job even if it's not posted

I have heard from several career search resources to create a target list of companies that I'd "dream" of working for. After I created my list, I clicked on the "Jobs" link of each company's website...to unfortunately not find any marketing positions posted.

I am fortunate to know a few people at one of my "target" companies. I took the initiative and sent a cover letter and resume to touch base with my friends, inform them of what type of position I'm looking for...and to "fish" if my contacts may know of positions that are not posted or may become available soon.

Bingo...this strategy paid off.

My contact was quick to respond with a note informing me of a marketing position that is an internal posting and has not been made public. He advised me to quickly submit my resume to the hiring manager with a cover letter referencing my internal contact. This worked like a charm...within a few days I got a call from the HR team asking for my availability to come in for interviews.

The big lesson here is to understand that companies are always looking for good people. Take that chance and submit the resume and cover letter to the dream companies for one never knows what may be in the works behind the "vail" of the job boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment