Sunday, February 15, 2009

Building the LinkedIn Network BEFORE you need it!

One of the leading indicators of when someone is expecting to get laid off is the receipt of a LinkedIn invitation. Back in October 2008 I received 5 LinkedIn invitations from previous co-workers from my time at eBay. Two weeks later I received phone calls from each of them saying they were part of the mass 1,500 person layoff.

I think LinkedIn is one of the most important professional networking tools out there. Working and building this network is far more effective in finding the next job than posting a resume on Monster or on Career Builder. When I made the decision to leave eBay back in May 2008, a recruiter for my last company found me on LinkedIn as he was browsing for candidates for the job he was trying to fill. I was not necessarily looking to leave eBay, but I had updated my information, job history and skill sets using the LinkedIn online tools. By simply posting my information, I made myself available for opportunities to find ME. That's cool!

Posting your resume on LinkedIn is only half the battle to finding new opportunities. It's important to build the network of "connections" you have worked with in the past. I've managed to build my network gradually over the past 10 years since I've been a member and have 500+ connections. I think it's an important standard career process to build the network BEFORE it's actually needed. I know I'm personally less inclined to help someone who I have not heard from for several years than someone I hear from more regularly (even if "more regular" means once a year).

This past week I've leveraged my network to send "checking in" emails to several friends informing them of my changed employment status. I've also leveraged the network to find out who has worked at particular companies in the past...in hopes of finding out who is behind certain job positions. Wow, this network is powerful!!! If I don't know of someone at Apple, TiVo, or McAfee for example, I know someone within my network will. Wow, that is powerful!

I've spoken to 3 recruiters this week and everyone one of them said that employers are hiring people from employee or recruiter referrals...and less from people applying online through job sites or job boards. This further verifies how important a personal network is to build.

No comments:

Post a Comment