Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I feel "unemployed" today...and I kind of like it...for now

Wow…today I really felt unemployed this Tuesday after a long weekend.

Today most of my friends braved the commute up and down the peninsula in the rain…and have to motivate to get through emails to uncover the weekly tasks. Hopefully they can take CalTrain and get a strong coffee in the morning! I have to admit I’m not jealous of them making the commute…but I can feel a “strain” in me that wants to get back to work.

However, nothing beats sitting at my computer all day in sweatpants and my vintage UCLA Athletics t-shirt. I have not shaved and my “bed head” is in full flair. I’m debating if showering is really necessary. After all, I showered on Monday…and was in-doors all day to escape the rain. Today will be more of the same…only I will be exercising my fingers as I browse job listings and respond to emails from LinkedIn contacts and friends.

I feel the need to remain disciplined so I plan to keep a regimen of getting started each day by no later than 7:30am. I start each morning by pouring my first cup of coffee from my French press (a perfect gift from my mom this past Christmas) and turning on “Squawk on the Street” on CNBC…to then switch over the Internet radio through iTunes by 9:00am…having the TV on post 9:00am makes me depressed.

I had an interesting phone call with a friend from my days at eBay, Elmer. Elmer now runs a division of Facebook and shared some interesting advice to guide the beginning of my job search. He said before I begin, I must be clear on three things...

1. What am I looking for in the next job…down to the job functional, type of industry/company, work environment, etc.
2. What value can I bring to the next company
3. Be genuine in my contact with people…leverage the network of friends and colleagues that I already have…don’t be the guy who reaches out only when something is needed.

Wow, Elmer….great advice and something we should all keep in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment