Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Get out there and meet people

Over the past four weeks I've sent out A TON of emails to various friends, colleagues on LinkedIn or Facebook and even previous co-workers who I worked with or for many years ago. I've notice a fairly decent response rate with replies...but the real learning about opportunities or good career mentoring comes from lunches or coffees...not over email or the phone.

I take a notebook with me to each in-person meeting to jot down any, "you should call X-Person...I hear they are hiring," or "do you know what space is HOT now...it's such 'n such..." notes. As I leaf through my pages at the end of each day I'm surprised by how much new information or new contacts that I've gathered for follow up the next day. The big tip here is to be sure and de-brief yourself after each meeting in the car. Before you start the car, write down further thoughts or information shared during the meeting before it leaves your head...you don't want to get home and think "Ugh...what was the name of that guy who knows that person..." Take the extra five minutes and do the self de-brief...you will not regret it.

I recommend that during these in person sessions that you practice your best social etiquet that your mom taught you. Shake hands firmly, but don't induce carpel tunnel syndrome to your colleague with an iron death grip. Chew your food first...and swallow...don't talk with your mouth full and demonstrate what your hamburger looks like blended. Lastly, and this is most important, don't be a "close talker"....


By internalizing these three important social safety tips you are sure to have a successful meeting that leaves a positive impression with a future employer.

An ancillary benefit of working the "lunch circuit" is the opportunity to get out of the house and see some interesting parts of town. I met my friend Carolyn for lunch at Club Slow in the Mission...a place I would never have found without someone with neighborhood knowledge.

Thanks for reading and please feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment