Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Know what you are looking for

This past Tuesday afternoon I checked in with the VP, Rob, of the group I used to work in at eBay Motors. Over my tenure at eBay I have developed a great relationship with Rob who always has a steady hand and mind to guide a business or colleague through a challenging time period.

"Be sure to know what you are looking for before you begin your search. Don't just apply for jobs to get a string of interviews," be began. "You will waste your time. By the time you interview, they will be selling YOU on the opportunity as well...and you will lose perspective if this is a job you REALLY need to grow. Take some down time and think through what you want to do next...and what factors are most important to evaluate a position against."

Hmmm....what are the most important factors? Well...decent money is important!! He he. Factors may include: industry, size of company, money, scope of position, career path growth, title,geographic location.

"Whatever your criteria," he continued "be sure to rank them and give yourself a time period to find a position. If at the end of the time period there is nothing doin'...then re-scope. Let's say industry is really important to you...but if over 6 months there is no job, maybe reconsider that #1 factor."

Given the economic times I think it's important to jump on an opportunity that has cash in the bank and is in a "growing" (at least not declining) industry. These two attributes will enable me weather the storm for a few years. A third attribute is growth opportunity to expand my marketing and leadership abilities within the organization. The money...well there are salary ranges that I'm well aware of...but to what end of the spectrum is negotiable looking at base, bonus, stock (yeah right) etc. I do have a magic number though...don't we all?

Over the next three months my job search criteria will be...

1. Well funded organization (most likely a brand name)
2. Company is "growing" (or at least not expecting to downsize in the next six months)
3. Opportunity to grow in my role
4. Compensation (within ranges)
5. Title
6. Geographic location

Five years ago my list would have been different...many companies were well funded and growing. My how times have changed!

What's is your criteria?

No comments:

Post a Comment